How Many Times Do You Have to Replace Your Dental Veneers?

Porcelain veneers are designed to be durable dental restorations, but they are not permanent. Clinical studies have shown that 95% of porcelain veneers last 11 years or more. This means that if you have 12 porcelain veneers placed, six above and six below, there is a 60% chance that in 11 years you will have to replace a veneer and a 40% chance that you will not have to replace any veneers. A good set of veneers, in the smile area, can last an average of 10 to 15 years if a patient takes good care of them. But like enamel, a dental website has said that porcelain succumbs to wear and tear over time. Therefore, although the bonding is permanent, porcelain veneers only last about 15 years, at which point they will need to be replaced. To replace the veneers, your dentist will gently and carefully drill the old veneer and start the new process all over again. Choose a good dentist, take care of your veneers and stay away from acidic beverages, and veneers can last forever.

Yes, most patients replace their veneers at some point in their life, as veneers last up to 12 years. Lumineers is a brand of a specific type of semi-permanent veneers and is a potentially more affordable option that emphasizes its potential, since Lumineers don't last as long as traditional veneers. Since dental veneers are both an aesthetic procedure and a serious dental procedure, be sure to see examples of the cosmetic dentist's work to make sure you like their style, but it's also important to ask for photos of smiles taken years later to see how the dentist's work has been maintained over time. For one person, the answer could be that their veneers can be replaced just once, but for another, they may be able to replace their veneers multiple times.

Porcelain veneers can be replaced multiple times as long as there is sufficient healthy tooth structure underneath the existing veneers. Despite your dentist's best efforts, if you don't take care of your teeth, your dental veneers will wear out. Using a good dentist you can trust is one of the best ways to ensure that your dental veneers last as long as possible. As is the case before any irreversible treatment, talk about things first during a consultation with a professional to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of getting dental veneers and fully understand what you're getting into, since veneers are forever (well, more or less).

You also have the option of getting partial veneers (meaning they don't cover the entire tooth) or full veneers (they cover the entire front of the tooth); it really depends on your needs and your budget. Both types of veneers require multiple visits to the dentist, but porcelain veneers tend to be a little more complicated. If a veneer needs to be replaced due to a break, for example, it will be necessary to measure the amount of enamel remaining on that tooth before creating a new veneer. Spending money on dental veneers and then not installing them properly can be expensive and incredibly frustrating. Applying your dental veneers correctly the first time saves you time and money, and ensures that you have a fantastic smile the first time. Whether you have a dental problem, you just don't like the color of your teeth and want to permanently whiten them, or you have a chipped or broken tooth, veneers can make your teeth look perfect.

This article was made possible by Dr. Matthew S. Wittrig, DDS

Amy Leary
Amy Leary

General food junkie. Devoted internet advocate. Wannabe music aficionado. Certified food nerd. Incurable food trailblazer. Professional twitter fanatic.