How Long Do Veneers Last and How Many Times Can You Replace Them?

In general, you'll need to replace your dental veneers approximately every 15 to 20 years. However, the longevity of your veneers depends on the quality of the material used and the skill of the dentist who placed them. Porcelain veneers need to be replaced an average of every ten to fifteen years, but they can last much longer if they are installed correctly and taken care of properly. According to the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, veneers last seven to 20 years.

Clinical studies have shown that 95% of porcelain veneers last 11 years or more. This means that if you have 12 porcelain veneers placed, there is a 60% chance that in 11 years you will have to replace a veneer and a 40% chance that you will not have to replace any. The good news is that veneers can be removed and replaced. The veneer replacement procedure is similar to the placement of new veneers and usually requires two visits to complete.

If there is no serious damage to the tooth, a temporary veneer will be provided while the porcelain veneer is being created. In addition to completely breaking down, gum retraction and natural tooth wear and tear can make veneers appear to shrink, exposing the natural color of the teeth underneath the veneers. If a person decides to get 8 veneers at age 21, those veneers will likely need to be replaced before age 36.Sometimes, veneers may fall out completely due to insufficient bonding during the initial placement of the veneers. If a veneer needs to be replaced due to a break, for example, it will be necessary to measure the amount of enamel remaining on that tooth before creating a new veneer.

For one person, the answer could be that their veneers can be replaced only once, but for another, they may be able to replace their veneers multiple times. To ensure your veneers last as long as possible, choose a good dentist and take good care of them. Avoid acidic beverages and other substances that can damage your teeth and gums. If you initially get your veneers done by a regular dentist, find an experienced cosmetic dentist who specializes in veneers for any replacements or repairs.

With proper care and maintenance, your porcelain veneers can last for decades.

Amy Leary
Amy Leary

General food junkie. Devoted internet advocate. Wannabe music aficionado. Certified food nerd. Incurable food trailblazer. Professional twitter fanatic.